Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau boosts B.C.'s housing plan with $2 billion in federal financing

Trudeau boosts B.C.'s housing plan with $2 billion in federal financing
The federal government is doubling the financing available for a British Columbia housing plan the prime minister called "transformative." Justin Trudeau was in Vancouver on Tuesday to announce that his government was adding another $2 billion in financing to the province's BC Builds plan aimed at constructing more middle-income rental housing.

Trudeau boosts B.C.'s housing plan with $2 billion in federal financing

B.C. New Democrat government delivers throne speech, budget on way in election year

B.C. New Democrat government delivers throne speech, budget on way in election year
The political agenda for British Columbia Premier David Eby's NDP government heading into an election this fall will take shape today with the delivery of a throne speech starting the spring legislative session. The speech outlining the government's goals this year comes just ahead of the provincial budget on Thursday and the election this fall.

B.C. New Democrat government delivers throne speech, budget on way in election year

Prime Minister in Vancouver Tuesday to make housing announcement alongside Eby, Sim

Prime Minister in Vancouver Tuesday to make housing announcement alongside Eby, Sim
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Vancouver today, set to make a housing-related announcement alongside Premier David Eby and Mayor Ken Sim.  Trudeau's public itinerary says he'll make the announcement this morning, and then head to a local high school to meet with students before an event at a community centre with seniors in the afternoon. 

Prime Minister in Vancouver Tuesday to make housing announcement alongside Eby, Sim

Feds fund legal advice for Ukrainians in Canada as immigration questions linger

Feds fund legal advice for Ukrainians in Canada as immigration questions linger
Justice Minister Arif Virani says the government will expand a legal advice hotline for war-displaced Ukrainians in Canada to help them understand their rights and navigate the immigration system. The news comes as many Ukrainians anxiously wait to find out whether Canada will offer them a permanent stay after their emergency visas expire. 

Feds fund legal advice for Ukrainians in Canada as immigration questions linger

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark
British Columbia Premier David Eby has named a new post-secondary education minister to replace Selina Robinson, who recently resigned over comments about the Middle East. Eby says in a statement that Lisa Beare, previously the minister of citizens' services, will fill the post-secondary education and future skills portfolio.

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized
Police say two seniors in North Vancouver are "terrified" and flummoxed to explain why vandals have targeted their home five times in the last year.  North Vancouver RCMP say the most recent harassment came on Saturday at 12:40 a.m. and 1:30 a.m., when a security camera recorded two suspects kicking the home's front door before running away.

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized