Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

All oil and gas permits in B.C. waters are relinquished, say feds Victoria

All oil and gas permits in B.C. waters are relinquished, say feds Victoria
The federal government says the final offshore oil and gas permits for Canada's west coast region have been relinquished. Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is speaking in Victoria today and expected to announce the relinquishment of the last permits in British Columbia waters.

All oil and gas permits in B.C. waters are relinquished, say feds Victoria

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging
Statistics Canada says there are now more millennials than baby boomers in the country, ending the 65-year reign of the post-Second World War generation as the largest cohort in the population. The federal agency noted the change in its newly released population estimate for July 1, 2023, broken down by age and gender.

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine
RCMP in North Vancouver say a $1,500 fine was handed out to a driver caught speeding down a bus lane. Police credit the discreet and quick actions of an officer on a motorcycle for nabbing and ticketing a driver last October.

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting
Two 16-year-old youths were arrested on Feb. 12 and are being held in custody as they await their next court appearance. RCMP say the BC Prosecution Service approved charges of discharging a firearm into a place and possessing a loaded prohibited firearm.

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech
British Columbia's New Democrat government is pledging more homes for first-time buyers and eviction protection for renters in a throne speech that promises affordability measures in this week's budget. The throne speech, read in the legislature by Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin, says the government is putting forward a vision where everyone can get ahead and no one is left behind

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech

RCMP ask prosecutors to consider charge in B.C. crane collapse that killed 5

RCMP ask prosecutors to consider charge in B.C. crane collapse that killed 5
RCMP investigators have asked British Columbia prosecutors to consider criminal charges in a July 2021 construction crane collapse that killed five people in the Interior city of Kelowna. Kelowna Mounties say a report has been submitted "for charge assessment for criminal negligence causing death." 

RCMP ask prosecutors to consider charge in B.C. crane collapse that killed 5