Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 
Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing female. Kaur is described as a 28 year old south Asian female, 5’5”, 125 lbs, with black long hair and brown eyes. Police and family are concerned for her health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds
The federal government is committing an additional $15 million over three years to fight the rise in vehicle thefts across the country. Minister of Public Safety Dominic LeBlanc made the announcement today in Montreal.

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say
Police in Vancouver say a 37-year-old man has been charged over accusations he robbed a blind, homeless man of his cane earlier this week. They say the victim is a 40-year-old newcomer to Canada who is legally blind and has been sleeping in shelters for the past few weeks.

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says
British Columbia Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the budget she tables on Thursday will protect services and won't  raise taxes for ordinary residents, but she also forecasts an increased deficit because "it's the right thing to do."  The minister says the time is not right for the NDP government to bring cuts when most people are facing rising costs for housing, food and other daily staples.

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says

More humanitarian aid needed for Gaza, minister says during Egypt border visit

More humanitarian aid needed for Gaza, minister says during Egypt border visit
The flow of humanitarian aid shipments for Palestinians in Gaza is at its lowest ebb since the start of the Israel-Hamas war, Canada's international development minister said following a visit to the Egyptian border.  

More humanitarian aid needed for Gaza, minister says during Egypt border visit

Poilievre against transgender women in female bathrooms, changing rooms, sports

Poilievre against transgender women in female bathrooms, changing rooms, sports
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he believes "biological males" have no place in sports or change rooms that are labelled female. Poilievre was asked at a news conference Wednesday about his position on whether transgender women should be allowed in spaces that are labelled for women and whether he would introduce any legislation to stop it.

Poilievre against transgender women in female bathrooms, changing rooms, sports