Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C.-Based Coalition Launches Campaign To Bring Ride-Hailing To The Province

    VANCOUVER — Eight organizations in British Columbia are joining forces to advocate for ride-hailing services in the province as soon as possible.

    B.C.-Based Coalition Launches Campaign To Bring Ride-Hailing To The Province

    Trudeau Says 'Peoplekind' Remark Was A Bad Attempt At Humour He Regrets

    Trudeau Says 'Peoplekind' Remark Was A Bad Attempt At Humour He Regrets
    In an exchange between Trudeau and a woman asking about religious charities at the Edmonton event, Trudeau interjected when she used the word mankind, telling her he preferred to say peoplekind.

    Trudeau Says 'Peoplekind' Remark Was A Bad Attempt At Humour He Regrets

    Nova Scotia Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Shooting Neighbour's Dog

    Nova Scotia Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Shooting Neighbour's Dog
    Lunenburg RCMP say the Labrador-pit bull mix was shot Monday shortly before 10 p.m. in a residential neighbourhood off Highway 103.

    Nova Scotia Man Facing Charges After Allegedly Shooting Neighbour's Dog

    Carpenter Rescues N.S. Couple Trapped In Flooding Car: 'I'll Get You Out'

    Carpenter Rescues N.S. Couple Trapped In Flooding Car: 'I'll Get You Out'
    The wind was howling, and rain battered the Nova Scotia carpenter's face, as he looked down at a vehicle that had gone off a slippery Annapolis Valley road last Friday night and into a watery ditch.

    Carpenter Rescues N.S. Couple Trapped In Flooding Car: 'I'll Get You Out'

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket
    An Ontario woman is suing her former common-law partner for allegedly denying that the couple had won $6 million in a provincial lottery before claiming the full prize for himself.

    Woman Sues Ex For Half Of $6 Million Lottery Win After He Left With Ticket

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation
    OTTAWA — The Liberal government has announced millions of dollars in new money for a national centre that works to protect children from online sexual exploitation.

    Feds Earmark Cash To Protect Children From Online Sexual Exploitation