Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Island wildfire downgraded again, no longer a fire of note

Vancouver Island wildfire downgraded again, no longer a fire of note
The BC Wildfire Service says the Mount Underwood fire lost fire-of-note status, meaning it's no longer "especially visible" or posing a threat to public safety, after it was doused by 40 millimetres of rain over the past week.

Vancouver Island wildfire downgraded again, no longer a fire of note

Carney says he will travel to Germany next week to deepen ties

Carney says he will travel to Germany next week to deepen ties
Carney says Canada has a good partnership with Germany but he believes it can be better.

Carney says he will travel to Germany next week to deepen ties

Canada joins call to protect Gaza journalists, allow foreign media

Canada joins call to protect Gaza journalists, allow foreign media
Canada co-founded the Media Freedom Coalition in 2020 and has signed dozens of statements on issues in Hong Kong, Sudan and previously the West Bank.

Canada joins call to protect Gaza journalists, allow foreign media

Supporters rally around B.C. ostrich farm after appeal court upholds cull order

Supporters rally around B.C. ostrich farm after appeal court upholds cull order
Posts on a social media group administered by Universal Ostrich Farm's spokeswoman show people saying they are booking flights or are driving to the property in Edgewood in the B.C. southern Interior.

Supporters rally around B.C. ostrich farm after appeal court upholds cull order

Carney announces that Canada is dropping many retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods

Carney announces that Canada is dropping many retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods
After meeting with his cabinet, Carney said at a news conference Friday that the decision will take effect on Sept. 1, 2025.

Carney announces that Canada is dropping many retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods

B.C. ostrich farm loses court bid to prevent avian flu cull

B.C. ostrich farm loses court bid to prevent avian flu cull
The court has dismissed two applications by Universal Ostrich Farms over the cull of about 400 birds, which was sought by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. 

B.C. ostrich farm loses court bid to prevent avian flu cull