Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney has 'productive' phone call with Trump amid bilateral tensions

Carney has 'productive' phone call with Trump amid bilateral tensions
The statement said the leaders discussed current trade challenges, opportunities and shared priorities in a new economic and security relationship. 

Carney has 'productive' phone call with Trump amid bilateral tensions

B.C. court gives parliament 10-month deadline to make Indian Act comply with Charter

B.C. court gives parliament 10-month deadline to make Indian Act comply with Charter
The court ruled that provisions of the act that denied status to people with a "family history of enfranchisement," where their parents or grandparents gave up their status and the benefits it entails, infringed upon the plaintiffs' Charter rights. 

B.C. court gives parliament 10-month deadline to make Indian Act comply with Charter

Federal union launches campaign denouncing cuts at CRA call centres

Federal union launches campaign denouncing cuts at CRA call centres
Marc Brière, national president of the Union of Taxation Employees, said the loss of about 3,300 call centre employees in the last year has resulted in delays, long wait times and dropped calls.

Federal union launches campaign denouncing cuts at CRA call centres

'Colonial decision-making': First Nations denounce B.C. park closure as too short

'Colonial decision-making': First Nations denounce B.C. park closure as too short
The B.C. government says it's the third and final such closure of the park this year.

'Colonial decision-making': First Nations denounce B.C. park closure as too short

Rising concerns over U.S. move to broaden products subject to metal tariffs

Rising concerns over U.S. move to broaden products subject to metal tariffs
The addition of 407 categories, ranging from bulldozers to furniture, came into effect earlier this week to add pressure and costs to those hoping to sell into the U.S. market. 

Rising concerns over U.S. move to broaden products subject to metal tariffs

Most Air Canada domestic, international flights expected to take off Thursday

Most Air Canada domestic, international flights expected to take off Thursday
An online dashboard tracking Air Canada's service resumption said Thursday morning that 98 per cent of domestic flights were expected to operate over the next 24 hours, along with 99 per cent of U.S. flights.

Most Air Canada domestic, international flights expected to take off Thursday