Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 May, 2026 12:04 PM
  • Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Police say frontline officers responded to reports of shots fired around 2:52 a.m. on April 13 in the area of 94A Avenue and 127 Street. Investigators confirmed that an occupied home was struck by gunfire, though no injuries were reported.

The Surrey Police Service’s Extortion Response Team (ExRT) later took over the investigation, identifying a suspect vehicle and obtaining a search warrant connected to the case.

With assistance from the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and other SPS units, officers executed the warrant at a Surrey residence, where one man was arrested.

Jaskaran Saroye, 27, has since been charged with discharging a firearm into a place while knowing or being reckless as to whether someone was present. He remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing, with his next court appearance scheduled for May 12, 2026.

“This arrest and charge reflect the determined work of our officers to hold those responsible for gun violence accountable,” said Surrey Police Chief Constable Norm Lipinski in a statement. “Discharging a firearm into an occupied home is an extremely serious offence.”

SPS has also publicly released a photo of Saroye, saying investigators believe the disclosure may assist ongoing investigations into violent extortion-related activity. Police are urging anyone with information about Saroye or related incidents to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Surrey Police Service at 604-599-0502, the Surrey Extortion Tip Line at 236-485-5149, or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Police also noted that the Surrey Extortion Reward Fund, established in September 2025, offers rewards of up to $250,000 for information leading to charges and convictions in extortion-related crimes.

MORE National ARTICLES

Air Canada flying again

Air Canada flying again
The company resumed flights Tuesday afternoon after a complete halt to Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge routes that began early Saturday morning.

Air Canada flying again

Trump slaps sanctions on Canadian International Criminal Court judge

Trump slaps sanctions on Canadian International Criminal Court judge
The State Department says Kimberly Prost of Canada was sanctioned for ruling to authorize the ICC's investigation into U.S. personnel in Afghanistan.

Trump slaps sanctions on Canadian International Criminal Court judge

Canada Post heads back into bargaining with union after delay

Canada Post heads back into bargaining with union after delay
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers claimed labour unrest at Air Canada was pulling attention from the postal service's dispute, which has stretched on for more than a year and a half.

Canada Post heads back into bargaining with union after delay

Police watchdog investigates after Vancouver officer shoots man dead

Police watchdog investigates after Vancouver officer shoots man dead
The Independent Investigations Office says the shooting took place Tuesday afternoon in an East Vancouver neighbourhood.

Police watchdog investigates after Vancouver officer shoots man dead

Air Canada set to announce new expenses policy for passengers as restart continues

Air Canada set to announce new expenses policy for passengers as restart continues
Only those who booked directly with Air Canada are eligible, as the form excludes passengers who booked their flights via Aeroplan, a travel agency or another airline.

Air Canada set to announce new expenses policy for passengers as restart continues

5 Canadian soldiers suspended over Nazi salute video

5 Canadian soldiers suspended over Nazi salute video
The commander of the army, Lt.-Gen. Michael Wright, called the video's contents disturbing and said that hate and extremism "have no place in the Canadian Army."

5 Canadian soldiers suspended over Nazi salute video